Thursday, 5 June 2008

D = Distorted

I understand anorexics, in principle. I can see how they can look in the mirror and see a fat person. Because I can do the opposite. I look in the mirror, regularly, and approve. This morning I saw a taut bum, flat stomach and body in proportion. The face was still young, fresh, 30-something-ish.

But sometimes I’m walking down the street, and catch sight of this round, middle-aged woman reflected in a shop window. But she’s wearing my clothes. Carrying my handbag. Huh?

Wwhen I can’t avoid it, I am occasionally photographed. And look back at the image to see a woman who looks kinda like I think I might when I'm old.

In my head, I’m still young, slim, fit and athletic. I told someone that once. They laughed.

I prefer the image in my head.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Ha ha, good one.

I hope the person who laughed when you said that wasn't your husband...

Bridgett said...

I'm with ya all the way. It's always in photographs that Mike takes that I think, whoa, Bridgett, what's going on here? But for some reason, the mirror doesn't say that to me. Hmm.

Indigo Bunting said...

I love this sentence: "When I can’t avoid it, I am occasionally photographed." Photographs have always shown the worst of me, generally, but the worst is getting worse.

Deloney said...

I look like my passport photo. Yikes.

Helen said...

Now that you aren't allowed to smile for your passport photo, I look like a snarling terrorist in mine.

Mali said...

I think I'm the only person in NZ pleased that we have to renew our passports every 5 years now, not 10 years. I have to live with my photo for only 4 1/2 more years. Hideous is an understatement.

Oh and Helen - no it was not my husband. He suffers from the same mirror distortion problem I do!

waxwing said...

Yep. I know the feeling. I know what I think I look like, then I catch a glimpse of myself. I see my mom some of the time, other times I'm not sure who that woman is.