Sunday, 27 July 2008

R = Raisins

The chef on the radio this morning was tempting my taste buds with talk of long slow-cooked casseroles and hearty red wine – perfect when it is cold and wet outside. For dessert she recommended a tarte tatin, but made with pears instead of apples. I swear I started to drool.
Until she said that she would add raisins as “an extra bonus.”

“Raisins?!” I felt like shouting at her in disgust. “How could you ruin such a decadent, fantastic, timeless classic with raisins?!!”

As you’ve no doubt realised, I’ve never liked raisins ... or sultanas for that matter. They used to spoil those old English puddings my mother used to make (like bread pudding). I would carefully pick them out and pile them on the side of the plate, generously and thankfully donating them to my father at the end of the meal. He loved them.

It was the texture I couldn’t stand. Urrghh! That squirt of the sweet flesh into my mouth even now makes me want to shudder.

Some children at school used to have raisin sandwiches. They called them “fly cemeteries.” Perhaps that is why I’ve always felt as if biting into a raisin or sultana was like biting into a fly’s body. A culinary treat I can do without.

13 comments:

Bridgett said...

Raisins by the handful? No problem. Raisins hiding in baked goods? Problem. Raisins in my grandmother's turkey stuffing? Disgusting.

Mrs Slocombe said...

sacrilege indeed: but I do always put sultanas in my porridge.
And I love a bit of spotted dick; with custard of course.

Deloney said...

It might be hard to believe, but I've met people who don't like escargots on their pizzas. Mmm.

Helen said...

And some philistines don't like escargots in their porridge either.

LisaS said...

raisins are just too buggy for me between the purply iridescent blackness and the slight crunch. and when they swell with the moisture of baked goods, they are doubly disgusting. makes me shiver to consider.

Mali said...

It is so good to know I'm not alone. Though I do like a christmas cake or christmas pud packed full of dried fruit. You don't taste the individual raisins then. Unlike spotted dick - bleurgh!

Bridgett said...

Ok, here's another english to english problem. I explained crab rangoon. What the heck is spotted dick?

Mrs Slocombe said...

spotted dick is SULTANA pudding: a completely different thing; besides as I once so notoriously said, I would eat shit if it had custard on it.

Bridgett said...

Found a recipe. I feel enlightened.

Mrs Slocombe said...

you won't once you've eaten some.......

Bridgett said...

It's not in my plan to actually eat it.

Bridgett said...

For instance, it has raisins in it.

Indigo Bunting said...

Late to the party, but utterly enjoyable. I am the opposite of Bridgett: raisins by the handful? no way. raisins hiding in baked goods? if it's not overwhelming, fine...