Wednesday, 3 September 2008

A = Aging

My mother visited on the weekend. It is of course always nice to see her, but often quite distressing. She is almost 76, and has not had an easy life. She is aging. I have to repeat things. Frequently. Always a worrier, she worries more now, because she forgets to tell herself to stop worrying. Did I mention I have to repeat things?

She is coping wonderfully since my Dad died, but does find it lonely at time, as self-sufficient as she is. Whilst my sister lives nearby, I worry about her on her own. (Worrying runs in the family!) Then my emotions become confused. I am glad that her daughters are around to care for her, whatever she might need. But as I do more and more for her, and as she needs me to do more and more for her, selfishly my mind turns to my own old age.

Who will look after me?

8 comments:

Helen said...

My thoughts exactly...

Indigo Bunting said...

It is scary. Although having children, of course, wouldn't guarantee a looking-after.

Deloney said...

By then we'll all be living in a commune together.

Bridgett said...

My grandmother had two kids; neither of them did a damned thing.

My parents are in their 50s. We probably have some time. I've already drafted my youngest sister as the one to listen to my mother and pat her on the back, and I'll take dad to physical therapy and listen to him complain about politics...my brother in Houston is unwilling and my middle sister is unfit for the duty.

As for me? It'll be Sophie. All the way.

Helen said...

Can Sophie come to the commune and look after all of us?

Bridgett said...

Thing is, unless many things change, if I asked her to do it...she would. Sigh.

Mali said...

I knew you guys would make me smile.

Mrs Slocombe said...

Frannie has already stated, often, in no uncertain terms, that we're on our own. Where's this commune?