Monday, 8 September 2008

C = Cowboy Dan

I was a bit of a tomboy when I was very little. Our neighbours called me my dad’s “little shadow” as I could be found following him all over the farm. Then I discovered books. Sometimes my two worlds met.



One of my favourite early books was a small, picture book about Cowboy Dan.



“I’m a rootin’ tootin’ cowboy

and my name is Cowboy Dan

I can ride a horse

and rope a steer

As fast as any man.”

40 years later I can quote that so easily. It must have been read to me many many times. Google tells me it was written by Andy Cobb, and that I am not the only girl who was entranced by this story.

My fifth birthday is memorable, not because it was the day I started school, but because I got a little (fake) leather bolero jacket with a badge that said “Deputy Sheriff” and a holster and toy cap gun. (It was the 1960s after all!) Murray, the boy across the bull paddock, had a similar outfit but he had chaps, and I was so jealous! A broomstick was my horse of choice, but I was always frustrated I couldn’t rope a steer.

6 comments:

Mrs Slocombe said...

There's a little bit of Doris Day in everyone.

Helen said...

Well, they have wild women surfing courses, somewhere (maybe Montana?) they offer wild women roping?

Indigo Bunting said...

I so want to see a picture of you in that outfit.

Mali said...

Helen: Can I do both? Yeehah ...
IB: You know, I don't think one exists.

Indigo Bunting said...

How convenient.

I'd settle for an adult version.

Mali said...

I think I'd look pretty silly in a little bolero, Deputy Sheriff badge and gun and holster now though, don't you?!