Monday, 5 January 2009

Z = Zigzag

The logical, pragmatic, planning, and list-making part of me loves the idea of setting goals, achieving them, having the next five or ten years of my life planned out. But then I listen to people who do that, and think of everything they are bypassing.

Life doesn’t take us where we plan. For that I am very grateful. Some of my most rewarding experiences have been when plans have gone awry. Some of my most successful career moves have been the result of a barrier in the way of my plan, or simply of chance, being in the right place at the right time. I am who I am now, simply because my plans didn’t go the way they were supposed to.

A straight line is so boring. No stopping off to sample experiences on the way, to meet new people, to try new things. A straight line has no imagination, and covers far less ground. Zigzagging my way through life is much more fun.

5 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

Somehow I find myself far out of line from the ones I had drawn
Wasn't the best of paths, you could attest to that, but I'm keeping on.
Would our paths cross if every great loss had turned out our gain?
Would our paths cross if the pain it had cost us was paid in vain?

There was no pot of gold, hardly a rainbow lighting my way
But I will be true to the red, black and blues that colored those days.
I owe my soul to each fork in the road, each misleading sign.
'Cause even in solitude, no bitter attitude can dissolve my sweetest find

Thanksgiving for every wrong move that made it right.

—Poi Dog Pondering

waxwing said...

I wonder if anyone's life goes exactly as planned? I tend to think not. Maybe the healthy folks are the ones who enjoy the unplanned parts.

Helen said...

I am not enjoying the unplanned expense of $420 to have a tree cut down that was severely damaged in last week's wind storm. AACCK!

Just had to vent a bit. I think it's good to have a Plan A, B and C, a backup plan, fall-back plan and master plan, but then, if all these fail, to enjoy the unplanned parts (as Cedar Waxwing points out), and to be able to regroup and replan as necessary.

Mali said...

IB: I liked that.
CW: Perhaps we enjoy the unplanned part in hindsight? Or rather, enjoy the results?

Helen: Sympathies. We have trees that will soon cause us great expense. I will no doubt blog about it.

Indigo Bunting said...

Helen: That sounds like a good plan.